Re: TeX Gyre Fonts, ftp-master email

On 28.06.09 Ralf Stubner (ralf.stubner@web.de) wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 16:43 +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > On Mo, 21 Jan 2008, Ralf Stubner wrote:

Hi,

> > > A better license from URW (not GUST font licenses, please!)
> > > would indeed be good.  One should keep in mind, though, that
> > > URW is not the
> >
> > I guess finally the time for uploading tex-gyre to Debian has come ...
>
> Depends how strict one is. Expanding on the citation above:
>
> ,----
> | A better license from URW (not GUST font licenses, please!) would
> | indeed be good. One should keep in mind, though, that URW is not the
> | only copyright holder involved here.
> `----
>
> The input for the TeX Gyre Fonts were not the original URW fonts
> that are now also available under LPPL.  Instead the version
> expanded to include Cyrillic glyphs has been used.  Obvioulsy,
> these expanded version is not covered by this change:
>
> > Of course, this additional licensing applies to the original URW++
> > material, not any subsequent changes and additions made by other
> > parties.
>
> (Peter Rosenfeld from URW++)

Does that mean the change is completely irrelevant to us, as URW did
not change the license of the source of TeX-Gyre (and probably can't
do it). I never read the LPPL: perhaps there is a clause that a piece
of work being under LPPL inherits its license to all work derived
from it (like the GPL does it)...

Just an idea.

H.
--
I find you lack of faith in the forth dithturbing.
		-- Darse ("Darth") Vader