Re: trigger question for tex-common

Hi Norbert, hi Ian,

I'm coming in a little late, but I hope I can still give useful
input. In particular since I've been much less active than Norbert in
the last 2 years, and have to look up everything on disk instead of in
the head...

>> > The update-* scripts do the following: They check if a .dpkg-new script
>> > is present for a config file (in /etc/texmf/updmap.d, fmt.d, language.d)
>> > and if that part of the snippet is NOT included in the final config
>> > file.
>>
>> !
>>
>> I don't think this can be right.

[...]
> Ok, here some remarks, others please correct me if I am wrong (this
> should not be considered exhaustive, only give an overview):
[...]
> Each font package shipping type1 fonts usually ships some .map files.
> These map files are in the format suitable for dvips.
[...]
> On Debian font packages ships the map files and snippets of the .cfg
> file as conffiles in /etc/texmf. This is because people/systems might
> have commercial variants of some fonts, might want to override etc, so
> those have to be conffiles to keep config changes over upgrades.

That used to be correct, I think. But nowadays, the map files themselves
(those containing font definition lines) are not treated as conffiles
(except by arabtex), instead they are installed in
/usr/share/texmf(-texlive).  The reasoning was that

- the vast majority of users will never want to change map files,

- the change reduces the number of conffiles by many dozens,

- and for those who want it configuration is still possible by changing
  the cfg snippets to include their local map files with changed font
  definition files.

> Now the steps when updating a font package are:
> - drop a new .cfg snippet in /etc/texmf/updmap.d/
> - drop the new .map files (if some are added) in
>   /etc/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/...
> - call update-updmap that merges all the parts of /etc/texmf/updmap.d
>   into one updmap.cfg file
> - call updmap to genereate the final config files

That's still true.

> Now the problems arise because map files are conffiles:

That's not true, and I'd bet it hasn't been when we introduced the
additional indirections. However, I cannot from memory explain why there
is still a problem. We need to look that up in the archives, or find the
right place in $brain again if we look long enough at the code.

I really do think we should document this in the package, so that future
maintainers won't have to learn these things by introducing RC bugs...

Frank Küster
Debian Developer (TeXLive)
VCD Aschaffenburg-Miltenberg, ADFC Miltenberg
B90/Grüne KV Miltenberg