Re: trigger question for tex-common

Norbert Preining writes ("Re: trigger question for tex-common"):
> The update-* scripts do the following: They check if a .dpkg-new script
> is present for a config file (in /etc/texmf/updmap.d, fmt.d, language.d)
> and if that part of the snippet is NOT included in the final config
> file.

!

I don't think this can be right.

>     if [ -f "${file}.dpkg-new" ]; then
>       do_not_include_file "$file"
>     else

I don't think testing for .dpkg-new is right.  Let me go back a step:
why won't including the file work ?  Is it possible to detect that
condition explicitly, or depend on something more closely associated
with it ?

You seem to be explaining how your current (or planned) maintainer
scripts work.  Can we leave that aside for the moment while you
explain how (La)TeX works ?  That is, what are the various moving
parts that (La)TeX has and what steps it requires, etc. ?

>  So if root is calling
> 	update-updmap
> and that script calls
> 	dpkg-trigger ...
> *nothing* happens even when calling
> 	dpkg --configure -a
> afterwards?

No, all the processing is deferred to dpkg --configure -a.  What I
meant was that if the sysadmin runs update-something they should not
be expected to run dpkg --configure -a as well.

> I will now work on implementing the whiole stuff as normal triggers
> called texmf-* and that the postinst of package using it simply call the
> update-* scripts.

I still think that the design needs some work.  The parts I don't
understand but need to in order to make sensible suggestions are the
(La)TeX parts.

Ian.