Re: [tex-live] mktexlsr does not include $TEXMFLOCAL when refreshing

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

mktexlsr /some/path rebuilds ls-R in /some/path while mktexlsr
consults texmf.cnf and rebuilds ls-R in directories listed in
TEXMFDBS. Probably "sudo mktexlsr" finds some other mktexlsr, not the
one distributed with TeX Live, thus it finds different texmf.cnf and
rebuilds ls-R in different directories. Try

sudo which mktexlsr

It will show you which mktexlsr was used.

Thank you for your quick reply. What you have pointed out certainly is the cause of the reported behaviour.

sudo which mktexlsr

gives

/usr/bin/mktexlsr

whereas the one in the texlive path is at:

/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux/mktexlsr

Executing

sudo /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux/mktexlsr

does indeed include the $TEXMFLOCAL directory.

In my .bashrc file, I have:

---
PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH; export PATH
MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc/man:$MANPATH; export MANPATH
INFOPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc/info:$INFOPATH; export INFOPATH
---

and

which mktexlsr

gives me

/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux/mktexlsr

So, it is the sudo that is changing the executable.

I suspect that I have three options:

1. Clear all executables in /usr/bin that have been superseded by those installed by by texlive. This is non-standard and difficult because some were put in by the kile package and other packages, and although I have removed kile for now, some residual packages might remain.

2. Ensure that the texlive executables are seen first by the superuser as well. Doe this mean that I have to include the above lines in /root/.bashrc as well? If so, are there any security implications?

3. Explicitly specify the mktexlsr to use by including the full path. This seems the neatest option at present.

I would appreciate advice on what would be the best option.

TIA.

Chandra