dvipdfmx; fontmapsx is missing

Hi list,

I'm trying to figure out why some text in an included EPS figure was being
omitted in a PDF that was being generated from a DVI using dvipdfmx. I'm not
sure if this is the reason or not, but I noticed dvipdfmx warning that it
couldn't find fontmapsx. strace tells me it's looking in sensible places
(/etc/texmf/dvipdfm/fontmapsx and /etc/texmf/dvipdfm/config/fontmapsx), but
the file really doesn't seem to exist anywhere on my system. 'locate
fontmapsx' turns up nothing. 'dpkg -S fontmapsx' can't find any installed
package that should own fontmapsx.

I'm lost. Where is this file supposed to have come from?

Peace,
Brendon