Re: Transition from dpkg to GNU install-info

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > A new version of the patch is in my branch, it should fix all the points you
> > have brought up (except the common wrapper thing):
> > http://git.debian.org/?p=users/hertzog/dpkg.git;a=commitdiff;hb=pu/install-info
>
> I was going to give some comments, but then I thought it was going to
> be easier with code, so here it is
>
> <http://git.hadrons.org/?p=debian/dpkg/dpkg.git;a=shortlog;h=pu/install-info>
>
> this way it might be possible to reuse this as the wrapper for the
> install-info package.

Hum, you mean by updating SELF to /usr/bin/install-info
and WRAPPED to /usr/bin/ginstall-info ?

We would still need more changes. Right now ginstall-info would be
called in the maintainer script in that case. And we don't want that.
And called as /usr/bin/install-info it would complain that it's
the dpkg install-info, which it isn't any more. The warning emitted by
/usr/bin/install-info that it isn't dpkg's install-info anymore is also
lost.

I'm not quite sure what your plan was here. The improvements are nice
but they don't solve this common wrapper idea. We can surely do it
with some #ifdef or similar but I still don't understand why it matters
so much when Norbert would certainly prefer to not have to separately
compile an executable given he can use a simple shell wrapper.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/