Re: About the names and the contents of the texlive-lang packages

Hi,

That I wrote much later, but in fact it is more important so I copied it
up the letter:

> not in a political terms. For example, if you make packages by letters (all
> the languages that begins by a, or b, or c ...) and it's documented, it's ok
> for me.

No. That is STUPID at best. It is about USABILITY. Someone living in
Barcelona has a MUCH higher chance of writing letters in both Spanish
and Catalan then a guy living in Prague (czech, catalan).
So in this sense putting spansish and catalan together is a good thing.

Don't you see that we are talking about usability?

If the only thing which bothers you is that you didn't expect catalan in
langspanish, then I can settle that in a minute. I add to the
description of collection-langspanish the word catalan hyphanation
patterns (should have been there anyway) and then a simple
	apt-cache search catalan
will find it. That is usability.

If so, please tell me and we can close this discussion and I will fix
this upstream an a minute ...

So again, hyphenation patterns are grouped (ok at least we try)
according to there expected usage, and not according to political
correctness!

On Do, 10 Jan 2008, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> Ok, I have seen it in the source of the debian package. As I understand it's
> compendium of files that are referring to another files.

No, the infrastructure has deeply changed. I have reworked it for the
2008 (and later) releases. There are several documents available on the
new infrastructure (including a horrible video of mine giving a talk).

I collected the current status for you. Attached is a file coll-lang.txt
which has the format:

collection-langXXXXX:
	hyphen-foo: lang1 (=alias1), lang2, ...
	hyphen-bar: lang3, ...
	packages: pack1, pack2, ...

etc. means that in collection-langXXXXXX the following packages for
hyphenation patterns called "hyphen-foo" and "hyphen-bar" (and providing
the languages lang1, lang2; and lang3, respectively), and in addition
the following other packages (imaging a subdirectory of CTAN as a
package) pack1 pack2 ...

Now if you want to come up with a better solution, please take a look
into which languages are provided, which packages are used, and how to
group them, keeping in mind:
- not one big package, people should be able to select only a proper
  subset for what they need
- not too many packages: we cannot increase the number of collections
  arbitrarily.
- every listed hyphe-foo and package *must* be contained in one (and
  only one) collection
- politically correct

If you have done this please submit a proper proposal to
	tex-live@tug.org
where we (Karl Berry and the rest of the team) will decide whether we
adopt it or not.

I would be MORE THAN HAPPY if we would have a better splitting scheme.
But be reminded, it is about USABILITY!

> some kind of dead line of it will be we it was ok?

Hmm, the earlier the better. The problem is that we have to adjust the
installer for it to get it working.

> About this, my personal PS point of view is that you have this opinion because
> you came from a comunity that has state (country), If not, probably you will

<RANT ON, if you are in bad mood skip to <RANT OFF>>
No. I am from Vienna and we DON'T have a state. I am since long
propagating that the borders of Vienna or eastern Austria should be
closed for western Austrians and visas reintroduced.

Do you get it? Borders are just humbug, the mean nothing. They mean as
much nothing. As Kreisky once said to a journalist: "Mein lieber
Kollege, lernen Sie zuerst Geschichte!". Learn history first.

This is a typical example, for some time countries want to become
smaller and smaller and every village independent, and a few decades or
centuries later it is going into the opposite direction, making big
states. THinking about Germany' history, or Austrian history, or many
others', too.

Bottomline for me: I don't give a sh... for borders. They are annoying,
but the don't have *any* other meaning then where to pay taxes, and
where you got thrown into jail, etc. They have NOTHING to do with to
what ethnic group you belong, to which community you belong.

Hey, otherwise we would have at least 4-5 different states in Austria,
Hungarians' Austria, Czech's Austria, Slovak's Austria, Slovenia's
Austria, German's Austria, damned, I missed it, where will Austria
remain.

Enough ranting about something as in-existent as the concept of borders.
It is all in your brains. If you cannot get rid of your own inner
enclosure how will this change even in an independent country?
<RANT OFF>

> Well, in constructive terms, what's exactly what it's needed?

See the beginning of the email.

> Maybe the i18n packages in texlive terms should be maintain by local TeX
> groups, so working in a collaborative way they should take care better about
> the particularities of their language in the package. And about debian

(debian hat on)
Then you should join tex-live@tug.org and help out there. TeX Live is
about 2Gb big. We don't do any special cases for special people. We
follow Upstream. And we will follow upstream.

> PS. feel free to resend my comments of texlive to tex-live@tug.org

This is not my job. If you have a proposal send it directly to
tex-live@tug.org, I am not a postman.

`I think you ought to know that I'm feeling very
depressed.'
`Life, don't talk to me about life.'
`Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to
take you down to the bridge. Call that "job satisfaction"?
'Cos I don't.'
`I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my
left side.'
                 --- Guess who.