Re: RFS: latexdiff (take 2)

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 18:03, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Pietro,
>
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 17:52, Pietro Abate <Pietro.Abate@pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
>> Hello dear mentors.
>>
>> I've packaged latexdiff (ITP:#469460), a small utilty to generate
>> friendly latex file that contains the annotated diff of the versions of
>> the same document. Very useful for non technical ppl.
>>
>> You can access the git repo here:
>> http://git.debian.org/?p=users/munga-guest/latexdiff.git;a=summary
>> (I use git-buildpackage)
>>
>> or otherwise you can get the package here with dget :
>> dget -u http://alioth.debian.org/~munga-guest/latexdiff_0.5-1.dsc
>> (it's not signed. I don't have my keys handy atm)
>>
>> I think a good place for this package would be in the texlive group
>> on alioth...
>
> So let's give them a chance to see this email (I add in CC) :)

Ok, chance given, no reply, I'm checking :)

>> Thanks martin for the review.
>
> I'd be willing to check it (hopefully sponsoring too) if others don't
> have time to :)

Here my suggestions/recomments:

debian/control
- you may want to add Vcs-Git and Vcs-Browser to reference where the
packaging code is
- uncapitalize short description
- please note that short descr is meant to be something like "<package
name> is a <short description>" so you might want to rephrase a bit.
- add ${misc:Depends} to Depends
- why are you suggesting some Vcs?
- why are you using both cdbs and debhelper 7? they almost aim to do
the same thing, and I encourage to use dh7

debian/dirs
- not needed, you can remove it

debian/README.source
- it's not what it's supposed to be: the target is people that have a
source package at hand (so dsc+diff.gz+orig.tar.gz) not to build from
Git. And it has to contain only (in this case) that you're using quilt
as patch system

debian/watch
- "Newest version on remote site is 0.42, local version is 0.5": is,
in upstream mind, 0.5 > 0.42? if so, please educate upstream to do
proper versioning, if not, you got to upgrade this package :)

debian/patches
- what is the need for an additional level, 'debian/', to contain the patches?

debian/patches/debian/destdir.diff
- couldn't you archive the same result passing the INSTALLPATH and
INSTALLMANPATH variables in the 'make' call in debian/rules?

debian/copyright
- misses various information
  - ./contrib/latexdiff-wrap has different copyright/license
  - ./contrib/latexdiff.spec is copyrighted in 2004
  - ./latexdiff has different copyright years
  and many more: please check *every* file in upstream tarball, I use
something like 'find . -type f -exec less {} \;'
- better refer to GPL-2 file only (in case, adjust the license for
your packaging work)

Your package FTBFS in a pbuilder environment with this error:
  debian/rules:6: /usr/share/topgit/tg2quilt.mk: No such file or directory
  make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/share/topgit/tg2quilt.mk'.  Stop.
  dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error
exit status 2

Please fix all the points above, don't hesitate to ask in case of any
questions/doubts and re-upload (same revision) to mentors when done,
replying to this email after that.

Regards,