Re: texlive2007 and otfinst.py

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 14:40 +0200, Pascal de Bruijn wrote:

> Did anybody test otfinst.py yet with the Debian packaged texlive 2007?
>
> http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/getFile.py?fn=/fonts/utilities/otfinst/otfinst.py
>
> Before the Debian packages I used the otfinst.py file to install my
> Adobe fonts into TeX. It worked fine back then. Since I'm using the
> Debian packages it's broken.
>
> I have no clue what's wrong. I've attached the errors.

Untested workaround: create the directory $HOME/.texmf-config/updmap.d
After that it should work. However, this script seems to install all
fonts below the user's HOME, which causes all sorts of problems when
the system wide fonts are updated. Is there an option to make a system
wide installation with otfinst.py (I have never used it).

Now for the details:

[...]
> updmap: This is updmap, version 1167072206
> updmap: using transcript file `/home/pmjdebruijn/.texmf-var/web2c/updmap.log'
> updmap: initial config file is `/var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg'
> /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexdir: Missing argument(s).
> Try `mktexdir --help' for more information.
> touch: cannot touch `/10local.cfg': Permission denied

A part of findRightLocalfile():

    debianuserdir=`FindDebianUserdir`
    /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexdir $debianuserdir
    test -w $debianuserdir || (
      echo "Target directory $debianuserdir not writable."
      echo "Exiting"
      exit 0
    )

Looks good. However, FindDebianUserdir() returns
$HOME/.texmf-config/updmap.d only when it exists allready. Otherwise
$debianuserdir is empty which makes mktexdir fail and is not detected
by the test.

Why not use TEXMFCONFIG/updmap.d?

cheerio
ralf