Re: TeXLive: dpatch vs. quilt

Hi Frank!

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Frank Küster wrote:
> So this means that you didn't use dpatch-edit-patch and things like
> this, but generated the patches by hand?  I mean, for dpatch-edit-patch
> you also need a source tree with all the files.

Umpf, never heard about dpatch-edit-patch. I make:
- cp foo foo.orig
- edit foo
- diff -u foo.orig foo
- copy a dpatch header from another dpatch ;-)

I hate scripts which are too intelligent to for a simple diff command.

> That's the same thing that I did with dpatch, execpt that "make changes
> to the dpatches using dpatch-edit-patch" copies the complete source
> tree, and worse it produces patches that won't apply...

Hmm, probably itwas a good idea for me not to use it at all.

> > I guess this is the reason why I used dpatch, I could just make a diff,
> > and add it straight away to the respective patches directory, adding a
> > simple header without any need for creating/unpacking/etc.
>
> That is still possible with quilt.  The main difference is when a patch
> needs updating or changing.

Can I just replace a part of a diff in a quilt file with another one
which I created with diff -u ?

> Or you can explain to me why this happens - the newly updated patch
> fails to apply:

No, please don't ask me about dpatch-edit-patch ...

> (552)[09:43:12]frank@riesling:~/src/Packages/texlive-new$ rm -r texlive-bin-2007.dfsg.1/

Btw, I like it that your computer is named "riesling" ...

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
ABERYSTWYTH (n.)
A nostalgic yearning which is in itself more pleasant than the thing
being yearned for.