Re: Debian TeX in Ubuntu

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 01:19:46PM +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dez 2006, preining wrote:
> > I have my account taken in Lauchpad, but I wanted to subscribe
> > 	debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org
> > and let us=list send a password, but it never arrived. It was either
> > blocked on the Launchpad side or on the Debian lists.debian.org side.

Thanks for your detailed report. I thought I had taken care of this over
the holidays, but I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the
leftovers!

> Ok, I search a bit in launchpad and found the following problem:
>
> - First I wanted to add debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org to the
>   TEAM Debian TeX Maintainers CONTACT email so that notification
>   are going to the list
>
> - Launchpad told me that this email address is already taken by
>   someone else

Right. That's a feature. Note that you can search /people/ for a
specific email address to see who is actually using it, when that
happens. Professional secret!

> - Then I search for "Debian TeX" in launchpads teams AND people and
>   found quite a lot:
> 	1 Debian TeX live Maintainers	pkg-texlive-maint
> 	2 Debian TeX Maintainers	debian-tex-maint
> 	3 Debian TeX maintainers	debian-tex-maint-lists
> 	4 Debian TeX Maintainers	debian-tex-maint-old
>   (Numbers are from me)
> 	1 should be deleted, it does not exist anymore, but maybe
> 		in some old Ubuntu release

So these addresses are likely to have been found in existing packages
that we imported via Gina, and that's why they were pre-created.

> 	2 is the TEAM and the only one which should have the
> 		debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org email

I created this team and reassigned it to Ming sometime in the past.

Note that email addresses are uniquely associated to people in
Launchpad.

> 	3 is as I assume the candidate which has the email address
> 		but should be deleted

Indeed, it has the email address you want; how annoying.

> 	4 is strange, as it has as preferred email address
> 		eleet@async.com.br
> 		no idea what to do with this

I'm to blame for this. I renamed the existing debian-tex-maint person
here, and used this silly email address to do that fudging. This was
really working around the fact that you can't merge teams, nor convert
people to teams, but it worked ;-) However, I hadn't noticed that 3) is
who actually held onto the email address. That's somewhat annoying.

> Can you or some admin please:
> 	delete 1 or do whatever you want

Hrm. For now I have merged accounts 1, 3 and 4 into
debian-tex-maint-old. Whew, what a load of work.

> 	delete 3 or take away the debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org
> 		email address so that I can use it as contact for
> 		the Debian TeX Maintainers Team (= 2)

I've arranged to have that done now. I think. Please confirm the message
that should have hit the mailing list and it should be all done. There
is the unfortunate matter of reattribution that should be done from
debian-tex-maint-old to debian-tex-maint (essentially transferring over
package information from the imported people to this new team) but I
haven't found a good way of doing that yet.

Note that the addresses:

    pkg-texlive-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org
    debian-tex-maint@debian.org

Are now free as well.