Re: Accessing mathmatics symbols within XeTeX

Ralf Stubner wrote:

In the output of xdvipdfmx there are (probably crucial) differences
even before you get the warnings:

[1<lmsy10@9.96pt(TFM:lmsy10)(Encoding:lm-mathsy)
pdf_font>> Simple font "lmsy10" enc_id=<lm-mathsy,3> opened at font_id=<lmsy10,0>.
[...]
[1<lmsy10@9.96pt(TFM:lmsy10)
pdf_font>> Simple font "lmsy10" enc_id=<builtin,-1> opened at font_id=<lmsy10,0>.

As you can see, on my machine lmsy10 is loaded with an encoding
vector, which is not the case on your machine. One possible
explanation for this would be that there are still incorrect map files
from your previous manual LM installation on your system. You can
chack this with the following commands:

kpsewhich dvipdfm.map
egrep lmsy10 $(kpsewhich dvipdfm.map)
egrep lmsy10 /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map

On my system the output looks like this:

ralf@skye:~/tex$ kpsewhich dvipdfm.map
/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
ralf@skye:~/tex$ egrep lmsy10 $(kpsewhich dvipdfm.map)
lmsy10 lm-mathsy lmsy10

(the third commands obviously gives the same output here)

On my system, this is the transcript:

kpsewhich dvipdfm.map
/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map

egrep lmsy10 $(kpsewhich dvipdfm.map)
lmsy10 lm-mathsy lmsy10

egrep lmsy10 /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
lmsy10 lm-mathsy lmsy10

This is identical to what you have on your system.

If some other (ncorrect) map file is found before (the hopefully
correct) /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map, then I
would suggest to move the incorrect map file somewhere else and try
again.

I used locate to find out where the other dvipdfm.map files were:

/largefiles/chandra/KubuntuDownloads/Feisty/Builds/texlive-bin-2007/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
/largefiles/chandra/KubuntuDownloads/Gutsy/Builds/texlive-bin-2007/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map

Of these, the last two seemed interesting. Doing a diff on them gave many differences.

In addition, I also have the cm-super package installed. I also wonder about the missing encoding vectors and what caused their absence.

Perhaps the way out of this tangle is to uninstall and purge the texlive-full installation and to re-install clean. Before I do that, I want to exclude the possibility of a more elegant solution.

Many thanks for your insightful help, Ralf. :-)

Chandra

cheerio
ralf

--