Re: handling of config files

> On Die, 29 Mai 2007, Frank Küster wrote:
>> ... and we will get bug reports "bogus conffile prompt".
>
>> without bogus conffile prompts with dpkg only.  Since we already depend
>> no ucf, anyway, why not use that?
>
> Umpf, I never used ucf, do we want to do this?

It's not really hard, and I hope that somewhen in the future this will
be merged back into dpkg *cleanly*.

The problem with ucf is that does only one particular thing, namely
handle changed conffiles.  There's still a lot to do by hand, like
removing the file in postrm (in addition to calling ucf --purge) and
registering it with ucfr.  But once you've understood it, it's quite
nice.

But we should only do it for conffiles which actually have changed.  It
doesn't make sense to use it for all of them.  I suggest to try a
reference implementation for one file and, once we've verified the
infrastructure works, disable it again until we need it.

Frank Küster