handling of config files

Hi all!

Not for this upload, but for the next (or one later) I would like to
discuss the handling of config files (again). IN
common.functions.postinst one finds:
    if [ -f "$cfgfile.preinst-copy" ]; then
      echo "Preserving user changes to $cfgfile"
      # this only works as intended as long as the shipped version
      # does not change!
      mv -f "$cfgfile" "$cfgfile.dpkg-new"
      mv -f "$cfgfile.preinst-copy" "$cfgfile"
    fi

The comment is important. Yes. We are copying an old config file, and
dpkg *never* proposes to replace with package maintainer options etc.
This is bad. Considering that for the next stable we will quite sure
have TL2008 or later, I suppose that the config files *WILL* have
changed.

Let's check the config files we want to handle:
/etc/texmf/dvipdfm/config/config
/etc/texmf/dvips/config/*
/etc/texmf/texdoctk/texdocrc.defaults
	all these are just simple take overs from texlive 2005 in
	/etc/texmf/texlive
	so we could *copy* them to the new location (if changed), echo
	a warning that is has changed and that debconf will ask ...
	then dpkg will ask the usual changed questions

/etc/texmf/xdvi/xdvi.cfg
	this needs some magic, as usual, haven't thought about it

Of course the error unwind procedure has to be changed, too, but in
general I would prefer such an approach.

Comments.

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
UMBERLEIGH (n.)
The awful moment which follows a dorchester (q.v.) when a speaker
weighs up whether to repeat an amusing remark after nobody laughed the
last time. To be on the horns of an umberleigh is to wonder whether
people didn't hear the remark, or whether they did hear it and just
didn't think it was funny, which was why somebody coughed.