Re: Call for testing ...

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> No, I think it's the error unwind procedure after
>
> dpkg-deb -x
>
> as described in policy §6.6, number 4:
>
> ,----
> | 4. The new package's files are unpacked, overwriting any that may be on
> |    the system already, for example any from the old version of the same
> |    package or from another package. Backups of the old files are kept
> |    temporarily, and if anything goes wrong the package management system
> |    will attempt to put them back as part of the error unwind.
> `----
>
> After that, it does not say what this error unwind is except putting
> files back.

Ah, I see. It would seem logical to me that any error in step 4 leads to
the error unwind procedure in step 5, substep 2, but I must admit it
isn't clearly written (you could think it can't be that because maybe
new-postrm wasn't even unpacked yet, but this is not a valid reason: as
you can see, new-postrm is already used in step 3, which shows dpkg
extracts it from control.tar.gz before it extracts the files from
data.tar.gz).

--
Florent