Re: Alioth upgraded

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> Wouldn't upgrading ssh on gluck do the trick, too?

I don't think so. AFAIK, the only consequence in this problem of ssh
being old on gluck is that it couldn't understand the new entry format
for alioth in ~/.ssh/known_hosts (the one where the host name is
hashed). But I worked around that problem by adding an entry with a
clear-text host name.

The real problem is that when I run:

  scp frn@gluck.debian.org:.zsh{rc,env} frn@alioth.debian.org:

this starts an scp command *on gluck* to alioth, and:

  1) For whatever reason, it doesn't fall back to asking a password if
     no RSA key can be used for authenticating to alioth.

  2) I don't want to use ForwardAgent, so my ability to login from my
     home machine to alioth won't propagate to this scp command.

In my previous post, I mentioned another possible solution that I don't
want to use, which consists in creating a password-less RSA key on gluck
that allows to login on alioth. But I think even that wouldn't work,
because the key needs to ssh-add'ed on gluck in order to be useful, and
the automatic scp that is run from gluck to alioth won't do that.

--
Florent