[TeX Policy] On which tl package to depend to get mktexlsr, fmtutil and friends?

Hi,

I've noticed frequently that packages start depending on
texlive-base-bin and texlive-latex-base.  I first thought that this is
superfluous, because what they really want is a "latex" executable.

(And for build-depends I'd really argue that depending on tl-base-bin is
a bug.)

However, many packages also call mktexlsr, fmtutil-sys, or updmap-sys.
Should we require them to depend on tl-base-bin for this purpose, or
should we code in the Policy that any package which provides a *tex
executable will also provide the infrastructure functionality?

In the end, it might even make sense to have an arch-all package with
all the infrastructure scripts?

And finally, similar considerations apply to
texlive-latex-{recommended,extra}: I would say that they will forever
depend on a latex executable and hence on texlive-latex-base or whatever
package that executable provides, so that depending on both is a bug?

What do you think?  I'm bringing this up now although Norbert is VAC (is
he?  You seem to have intermittent internet access), because I think we
should try to sort this out quickly (and maybe present pro's and con's
ready when he returns).