Re: Draft spec for new dpkg "triggers" feature (v2, repost)

Frank Küster writes ("Re: Draft spec for new dpkg "triggers" feature (v2, repost)"):
> Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:
> >    I's postinst must do all the necessary work when
> >   called with the "configure" argument;
>
> The reason can be extended by the scenario that I is installed after the
> Ts (and no T depends on I, maybe Suggests or Enhances).

Yes, this is true.  But I prefer putting it the other way (mentioning
deconfiguration) because of the way maintainers frequently look at the
other postinst arguments to see for example whether the package has
ever been configured before.

But there is a useful point here, so now I have:

  Or to put it another way, triggered actions are considered irrelevant
  if the interested package I is not configured.  When I's postinst is
  called with `configure', it must do whatever actions are necessary to
  deal with any trigger activations which might have occured since it
  was deconfigured, just as if the package was being configured for the
  first time.

Ian.