strange missing links ...

Hi all!

You remember that I moand once that some links are not present. I think
I found the problem, this is what I wrote in the TODO file:

   # THIS IS EXTREMLY STRANGE!!! WHEN I BUILD DIRECTLY FROM THE
   # texlive-svn SOURCES THE etex pdfetex pdflatex LINKS ARE THERE!!!!
   # WHY WHY WHY????
   foreach my $sf (qw/tpic2pdftex etex pdfetex pdflatex xelatex/) {
      system("cp -a $DataGlobalPath/bin/i386-linux/$sf $texlivedest/bin.special") == 0

   texlinks is called but finds /var/lib/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf and uses
   this for creating symlinks, which is bad ... the reason for this is
   that we patched the sources such that the default search path
   is for debian system,  ...

   One solution would be to call after building the stuff the texlinks script
   with --cnffile ...pathtolocalcnffile...

   Or hope that in a cow/pbuilder it builds right ... maybe this would
   have happened even in the older packages, only that we always build
   them in a cowbuilder?

   And indeed, in cowbuilder it builds right, even with the missing xelatex
   stuff. So we should fix this, definitely, but I can remove the special
   cases, ie the bin.special and *only* build in cowbuilder

If one has a nice idea how to fix this?! From the build run log:
if test -f /tmp/buildd/texlive-bin-2007/build/source/inst/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/texlinks; then \
	TEXMFMAIN=/tmp/buildd/texlive-bin-2007/build/source/inst/texmf PATH=/tmp/buildd/texlive-bin-2007/build/source/inst/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu:/tmp/buildd/texlive-bin-2007/build/source/inst/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin \
	/tmp/buildd/texlive-bin-2007/build/source/inst/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/texlinks; \
	else :; fi

Now as soon as there is an installation of tex, if finds FIRST
	/var/lib/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf and creates the wrong links,
since pdfetex isn't any more, and should in fact be created!

Very chaotic? I know, but I have to leave soon ... so I am in hurry.

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
GLOSSOP (n.)
A rouge blob of food. Glossops, which are generally streaming hot and
highly adhesive invariably fall off your spoon and on to the surface
of your host's highly polished antique-rosewood dining table. If this
has not, or may not have, been noticed by the company present, swanage
(q.v.) may be employed.