Re: (fwd) Draft spec for new dpkg "triggers" feature

Frank Küster writes ("Re: (fwd) Draft spec for new dpkg "triggers" feature"):
> Ah, the wording was unclear to me.  So, in
>
> ,----
> | File triggers [...] are activated when the specified filesystem
> | object, or any object under the specified subdirectory, is created,
> | updated or deleted by dpkg
> `----
>
> "under" does not only cover files directly in a subdirectory, but
> anything in the hierarchy below it.  Maybe this should be worded more
> clearly.

I'm not sure which word you think I should use.  `In' would be
ambiguous and might suggest `only in that specific directory'.  And
later I say:
                   ...   Only textually identical filenames (or
 filenames where the interest is a directory prefix of the installed
 file) are guaranteed to match.

> >> - update-updmap and subsequently updmap must be called whenever a file
> >>   changes in /etc/texmf/updmap.d.  Classical case for a file trigger, if
> >>   I understood correcty that "file" can be a directory, too.
> >
> > Surely this is not possible, because the system administrator (or some
> > other automatic process) might change files in /etc by hand.
>
> I'm not sure I understand you.  I understood, however, that I was not
> writing as exact as I should have:
> s/file changes/file is changed by dpkg/.

So these files have a note in them saying you have to run
update-updmap if you change them ?  Obviously solving the problem just
for dpkg's changes to the files isn't sufficient.

Ian.