Re: (fwd) Draft spec for new dpkg "triggers" feature

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> writes:

> - update-updmap and subsequently updmap must be called whenever a file
>   changes in /etc/texmf/updmap.d.  Classical case for a file trigger, if
>   I understood correcty that "file" can be a directory, too.
>
>   However, in this case an additional feature which I didn't find would
>   be great: In case the triggered action fails and the package that was
>   triggered is put into failed-config state, it would be very good to
>   somehow be able to know: "Which package(s) activated the trigger?".
>   In fact, when updmap failed, it was sometimes due to user
>   misconfiguration - then it's okay that only the basic TeX package
>   which provides updmap is known.  However, an other possible reason is
>   a buggy package, and in this case it would be nice to easily see which
>   one triggered the updmap call.  It's only a question of convenience,
>   though: If we manage to get the bug reporter's
>   /var/lib/texmf/updmap.log, we'll usually know.

Say I install buggy-updmap-package first and then udpmap1-package and
udpmap2-package.

The second time around the updmap would still fail and claim that
udpmap1-package and udpmap2-package triggered it. But both are not to
blame.

I think you have to make the triger itself report a reasonably
helpfull error message to pinpoint the broken file causing the
failure. Anything else will just add useless information to
bugreports.

> There's one more question here: both mktexlsr and updmap are provided by
> tetex-bin and by texlive-base-bin currently, and packages which would
> trigger this would (directly or often indirectly) depend on
>
> tetex-bin | texlive-base-bin
>
> (I say indirectly because most of the time it's actually going to be
>
> tetex-bin | texlive-latex-base
>
> where tl-latex-base Depends: tl-base-bin).
>
> update-updmap, on the other hand, is in tex-common on which all of them
> depend.  I've not though through whether the specification caters for
> this - it should.

I think triggers as specified work without depends. You just trigger
them and if tex-common happens to be installed it gets the
trigger. Otherwise nothing happens.

In your case it will always be installed by indirect dependency so it
will just work.

> Many thanks for your work!
>
> Regards, Frank

MfG