Re: Meta-package to replace tetex-extra

> Hi Frank, hi all!
>
> On Die, 19 Dez 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
>> > Hmmm, in theory possible, but I would opt NOT to just unconditionally
>> > activate ALL hyphen patters, as there are quite a lot, and it may happen
>> > that the TeX mem is exceeded.
>>
>> I had the same objections before we activated all of them for teTeX.
>> Someone in de.comp.text.tex showed me that it doesn't really make a
>> difference.  TeXlive as a couple more, but I don't think it will make a
>> large difference.
>
> Wrong.

No, right ;-).  We're talking about different things.

> Do you remember that I asked some time ago to increase the
> respective setting in texmf.cnf, at the beginning of the texlive
> packaging efforts? It was out of this reason, I couldn't install all
> lang packages as this did break the format building.

But that was about one number that needed to be changed in texmf.cnf -
we can always do that again, or do it in the sources if necessary.  And
this number is independent on the decision whether to activate them all
by default or not: If so many patterns are available in Debian, then it
must be possible to install them all at the same time - so the number
needs to be high enough.

The only real problem that I saw back then, and that we should check
again now, is the question of performance:  The format dumps will get
bigger, and we should check whether that slows down LaTeX startup or
processing significantly or not.

> Of course. If we go for this I can merge most of the lang packages into
> one, but then again, I wanted to keep some resemblance with the TeX Live
> packaging system, ie the collections people are used to install when
> they did install TeX Live from the CD/DVD.

Yes, I think this is the main point.  Would it be possible to move
individual files around?