Re: Updating Sarge teTeX to etch/sid TeX live ... help

> - for the teTeX profis: do you have any idea what has to be taken care
>   of at this process, like removing old config files?
>
> I guess I have to set up a chroot with sarge and try it myself. Lets
> see.

It's reproducible.

pbuilder-login into a sarge chroot, "apt-get install aptitude
tetex-extra", change sources.list to point to sid, update, start
aptitude to put tetex-* on hold (this can also be done without aptitude,
but I always forget the dpkg options).

Then do the dist-upgrade, and after that select texlive in aptitude.
tetex-* and texinfo will be removed, many installed, and the postinst
will fail, with the following in /tmp/texlive.fmtutil.XXX:

fmtutil: running `omega -ini   -jobname=omega -progname=omega omega.ini' ...
/usr/bin/fmtutil: line 357: omega: command not found
Error: `omega -ini  -jobname=omega -progname=omega omega.ini' failed

This looks like somehow omega.ini is still present, and there's an entry
in fmtutil.cnf.  And yes, here it is:

# kpsewhich omega.ini
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/plain/config/omega.ini

This should be moved to texlive-omega (probably upstream, in the tpm).
(aleph.ini maybe also?)

However, that doesn't explain the bug, since texlive has no entry for
omega in fmtutil.snippets.  The problem is that sarge had 00tetex.cnf,
and this file is still there, without a magic comment.

When tetex is updated, this file disappears.  It seems that dpkg notices
that it is unchanged and missing in the new package (I guess this is
new?).  However, when texlive is installed, tetex is not upgraded, but
removed - and configuration files are left on the system.

So this particular bug can be solved by moving omega.ini to
texlive-omega.  However, I'd rather have a general solution for the
problem of leftover conffiles from sarge.

Frank Küster