Re: Need help: how to package fonts for TeX in debian?

Hi Arne!

On Mit, 04 Okt 2006, "Arne Götje (?????????)" wrote:
> Instead I asked Werner Lemberg for help and he pointed me to his latest
> CJK-latex package and the subfonts utils within that package.
>
> I used it on my fonts and it took my PC 36 (!) hours to generate the
> .enc, .afm, .pfm and .tfm files for my 4 fonts.

36h seems quite long for me, too, but the font generation in
latex-cjk-chinese-arphic-* also took really long, several hours. So this
is probably only a difference in computing power.

> I asked Werner how to install the fonts in my TeX system...
> but it seems that in Debian the directories and file locations are quite
> different...

Not different, no but.

> Now, how to do this in Debian? and how to produce a package for this? Or
> should this go into the latex-cjk /cjk-latex stuff?

I think the best is to grab the latest latex-cjk-chinese-arphic source
package from
	deb-src http://chinese.alioth.debian.org latex-cjk/
and take a look at it. In a nutshell most things Werner told you are
right, but the locations and especially the map registration is
different!

About the generation of pfb/afm/vf/ etc files from the ttf I cannot
comment, I have no idea. Please again see the source package and you
will find a proper way I guess.

arphic-{ukai|uming}
After this you have to
for type in afm vf tfm map ; do
	put all *.$type into /usr/share/texmf/fonts/$type/arphic/{ukai,uming}
done
put all *.pfb into /usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/arphic/{ukai,uming}

When you have done this most stuff is done. Now about the font map
installtation and activation: Here it is best to use dh_installtex which
generates all the necessary postinst/postrm code and additional files for
you. It can also automatically generate the config.uming etc files for dvips
when the are not too complicated.

It will install the config file in /etc/texmf/updmap.d/ and depending
files. Again see the rules file for the above package for a good example
how to do all this!

If you have more problems we will help you, just let us know. I think
Danai can also give you a helping hand for the font extraction.

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
Pages one and two [of Zaphod's presidential speech] had
been salvaged by a Damogran Frond Crested Eagle and had
already become incorporated into an extraordinary new form
of nest which the eagle had invented. It was constructed
largely of papier mache and it was virtually impossible for
a newly hatched baby eagle to break out of it. The Damogran
Frond Crested Eagle had heard of the notion of survival of
the species but wanted no truck with it.
                 --- An example of Damogran wildlife.