Re: intent to do a poppler transition

Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> wrote:

> Whole problem is more complicated.  No external package should every
> never use libpopplerX directly (well at least according to upstream).
> According to upstream, it was never meant to be used that way.  External
> packages should use either -glib or -qt bindings which have stable API
> and ABI.

(I'd rather say "have a well-defined API at all", which xpdf and hence
libpoppler hasn't)

However, they are aware at least that other projects are interested in
using poppler proper, and I think I told them we are already using it.
We even talked about the possibility to provide a backend-free version
with a clean API.  AFAIR, the only reason for not providing it was that
nobody had time to do it.

It's completely inacceptable for pdftex to acquire a dependency on gtk
or qt.  If using plain libpoppler turns out to be impossible, we'd
rather switch back to using our embedded xpdf copy and have 10 security
releases during each release cycle.

Frank Küster