Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Re: Fonts maintainer team?

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 10:24:48PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Such an team has already been started by Christian Perrier:
> > http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-fonts/
>

> I'm not entirely sure that this team has reached very ambitious goals
> yet (when I launched it, I talked about writing a font packages
> policy, which still has to be written down....).
>
> I'm missing the needed time, and probably skills, to very efficiently
> animate this team and make it more than just a collection of
> individuals who maintain fonts...and share a common repository.
>
> This is maybe enough to at least achieve a few goals mentioned by aba,
> though. People who want to jump in that team are highly welcomed in
> pkg-fonts. The contact mailing list is
> pkg-fonts-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

I spent some time during Xmas holidays thinking about an environment for testing
fonts: actually the aim would be to easily create images showing how a font
renders some text. I wrote down some notes wich I will post as soon as they're
polished. I discussed this and was helped on this with the Dejavu developers.

I'd also like to see more documentation (tutorials?) on how to hack fonts (for
example about hinting) along with a policy for fonts.

regards,
Davide