ConTeXt installtion and Debian

Hi Taco, hi all!

(I am sending personal copies since I don't know whether I can mail to
the ntg list).

First of all thanks for the explanations!

You wrote:
> To actually update ConTeXt, assuming you already have a relatively
> modern context installed, you say
>
>   # ctxtools --update
>
> and that fetches the zip file(s) from the pragma site (or a mirror),
> unpacks them, and updates the various perl and ruby scripts that come
> with ConTeXt.
>
> You have to be root for this when you want to update the global install,
> otherwise you have a few extra caveats, see below.
>
> After a succesful update, you have to run
>
>   # texexec --make --all [--xetex | --aleph | --pdftex] <formats>
>
> Where <formats> are the desired formats to run. The accepted list
> at the moment is: the eight ConTeXt formats, in both long
> ("cont-en" etc.) and  short from ("en","nl","de","it","fr","cz",
> "ro","uk"), and "mptopdf", and the metapost mems "mpost" and "metafun".

I checked the current zip file and the current ctxtools.rb script, it
does nothing else than:
- download the current zip
- unpack
- install the stubs from scripts/context/stubs/*
- update the formats.

So this is what we have to do in the Debian package, too. This is not
hard, in fact most parts are already done. The only thing we have to do
is create a way for the user to choose which formats should be
generated. I will think about this.

But for the search pathes, we will adjust the Debian texmf.cnf file, to
get different engines loading differen cont-en.fmt files. Thanks.

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
HASTINGS (pl.n.)
Things said on the spur of the moment to explain to someone who comes
into a room unexpectedly precisely what it is you are doing.