Re: Changes in AFM `FontName'

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 10:30 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> When upgrading my `lmodern' package, I noticed that the `FontName' field
> of some of the AFM files (specifically, the oblique/italic `LMSans'
> files) had changed from, for instance, `LMSans10-BoldItalic' to
> `LMSans10-BoldOblique' (and similar changes for other files).
>
> Is it a change that occurred upstream?

Yes, this was an upstream change. It wouldn't make much sense (but would
be a lot of work) to divert from the names used by upstream. BTW, the
name change itself is sensible, since LMSans has an oblique (or slanted)
version, but not an italic one, since an italic font would imply other
glyph forms compared to the upright version (the 'a' would be a typical
example).

cheerio
ralf