Re: SVN tex-common commit: r1695 - tex-common/trunk/scripts

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:

> I don't think one can be 100% sure if one is outside the regime of logic
> and mathematics. But I do find it rather unlikely that we will still
> find any /usr/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg now, since update-updmap
> checked for this location for quite some time. And since Nov 2005 using
> one of the bad options would create /etc/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg. So we
> would need a unstable user who hasn't updated for about a year. I am not
> sure how likely that is.

Okay.

> Could /usr/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg get generated during an update?

I was worried that it could be a leftover from woody or sarge times, but
I just checked the packages and couldn't find anything there that may
lead to the creation of /usr/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg.

So, you're right. Your commit should be safe, except for the rather
unlikely case of an unstable user who
  1) used one of the "bad options" a long time ago
  2) hasn't updated his system for about a year
as you explained.

> I know only two possibilities: The admin places there on purpose (for
> whatever reason) or one of the 'bad options' was used when
> TEXMFSYSCONFIG was still /usr/share/texmf/web2c. Any other
> possibilities?

I'm not aware of any other possibility.

--
Florent