Re: OpenType version of the lmodern fonts

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> writes:

> Hi,

 > Does it mean that any application that can use TrueType fonts is also
> able to use OpenType fonts (even when the file names end in .otf[1])?

The TrueType spec is a subset of the OpenType spec.

For using the opentype features (basically, the conjuncts), the
rendering engine should have certain capabalities, and prfectness of
the rendering engines is, script dependent.  For example, Pango and
KDE's rendering engines have problems rendering some of the Malayalam,
and Tamil conjunct characters, but render Devanagari and Bengali well.

> Thanks!
>
> [1] For this question, I of course assume that the application does not
>     object to reading a font file just because it ends in .otf.
>
>     The underlying question is: are .ttf-ending and .otf-ending OpenType
>     files scrictly equivalent, or does the .otf extension indicate a
>     particular kind of OpenType file that isn't compatible with
>     applications that can use TrueType fonts ?...

I  am not  sure of  the  file extension  part. AFAIK,  the *nices  and
specifically, X does not care  for file extensions, does it? (you need
to  crate the  font directory,  create  the fonts.cache  files in  the
concerned directory and add the font path to X's default search path.

HTH.