Re: lmodern 0.99.3-4 MIGRATED to testing

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> OK, I've just built a package in sarge + debhelper 5.0.34bpo1 that
> installs the symlinks in both locations (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/
> and /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/). If someone having X.org installed from
> bpo wants to try, it's here:
>
>   deb http://people.debian.org/~frn/experiments sarge main
>   deb-src http://people.debian.org/~frn/experiments sarge main

I could try, however I'm questioning the usefullness of all this.  I
know, I was the one to originally suggest an upload to bpo, but that's
just because I think generally that bpo packages should be up-to-date
testing, or nothing at all.

Generally, but there are exceptions.  Here we seem to have
reasons for an exception:

- As far as I understood, there are no substantial changes in lmodern,
  except the adaptation to xorg 7.0 compared to 6.9.

- testing has xorg 7.0, but bpo does not have it.

Why upload a package that only adds features that are not useful on bpo?
And even less so if it would require backporting effort?

Shouldn't we just keep lmodern on bpo as it is, *until* xorg 7.0 is
backported, too, and only then do the upload?

Debian Developer (teTeX)