Re: Providing an up-to-date TeX system for etch: teTeX, TeXlive, or what?

Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> wrote:

> On 13.03.06 Norbert Preining (preining@logic.at) wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Mär 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> As usual I'm not able to follow the discussions in time.
>
>> > 2. Decide that TeXlive be the default TeX system in Debian, and keep
>> >    teTeX only for package building purposes for etch.
>>
>> This doesn't help, as most people will - as you said - dist_upgrade.
>>
> I don't follow the development of TeX Live - neither the upstream
> package nor the packages in teTeX. I don't know how the TeX packages
> are distributed in the packages of Norbert.
> Wouldn't it be possible to convert the tetex packages into dummies
> and let 'em pull the approprate TeX Live packages? If teTeX really
> dies it can't be our job to keep it alive. Of course that means many
> packages have to adjust their Depends and Build-Depends....

Yes, I think that would be perfectly possible.  But still I wouldn't
want to do it now:  For etch, we will never manage to establish texlive
as the main TeX package, for buildds, with adjusted dependencies and
everything.

Therefore, I'm looking for a short-term solution for etch.  After that,
we'll probably also know more, or more surely, about teTeX.

Actually, I've delayed thinking about that for me personally.  I'm
waiting for the release of pdfTeX 1.40; then I'd like to try whether
including that in teTeX is doable.

Debian Developer (teTeX)