Re: Latex and utf8

(Google News doesn't seem to pick up my replies; I really ought to
switch from Pan to a news reader on Emacs one of these days.)

Op woensdag 22 maart 2006 07:40:06 +0100 schreef Kai Hendry:

> On 2006-03-22T06:40+0100 Norbert Preining wrote:
>> - CJK package, which should work with utf8 input
>>   here you have to read up, but there is quite a lot of documentation
>>   on CJK around.
>> If you want to use the later option, I recommend the installation of
>> teTeX3 or TeX live (if you have unstable, then you with 99% teTeX3, for
>> testing you have to get teTeX3 backports), and furthermore the latex-cjk
>> package (maybe only latex-cjk-korean) which are hopefully going into
>> unstable soo, but are available from
>>         deb http://chinese.alioth.debian.org latex-cjk/
>
> Ok, I'll wait for them to hit unstable. Any ETA?

Sorry, I have no idea.  I will write an RFS to Debian Mentors when I get
back from vacation next week.  The packages are pretty stable (as far as
Chinese and Japanese are concerned; Korean only EUC-KR), so you might want
to give it a try.

You can use either TeX live or teTeX3.  All the necessary (Chinese and
Japanese) fonts are available on the above APT repository.  Korean
fonts are from the HLaTeX package.  CJK4.6.0 supports UTF-8.

I have thoroughly tested Chinese and Japanese, but I haven't yet been able
to get Korean in UTF-8 correctly working.  I need to find a way to create
Unicode versions of the Myoungjo TMF files.  I hope to get it working
before Easter.  So for now you can only use the EUC-KR encoding, or if you
really need UTF-8 ASAP, you can try the Cyberbit font, for which I have a
working configuration on my computer (can't distribute it; it has a more
than fuzzy license).

> I just wondered really if there was some grand design for latex to
> natively support utf8.

No grand design (yet), but CJK is very good for Eastern Asian scripts, and
actively maintained.  I know no other package or TeX implementation that
is as good as CJK.  It is supposed to work with ConTeXT, but I haven't
tried yet.

So if you can wait a week or two, then Korean in UTF-8 will hopefully be
implemented in my next release.

Best regards

Danai SAE-HAN
韓達耐