Re: Latex and utf8

On 2006-03-22T07:22+0100 Norbert Preining wrote:
> > I just wondered really if there was some grand design for latex to
> > natively support utf8.
> Well utf8 *is* supported, but the problem is of course with as soon as
> you get utf8 encoded items which are outside the 256 range, which
> happens quite fast.
> YOu could of course go the omega/aleph way, where you have full utf8/ucs
> input capabilities ...

What is "omega/aleph"? Another tex system?

> > Are the any good executive briefs that inform me what tetex3 and texlive
> > bring to the table?
> Well, everything new, isn't this enough ;-)
> Tausands of things: tetex2 is stone old (pdftex 1.10 or so?), very old
> packages. teTeX3 and TeX live are more or less uptodate, texlive for
> debina is based on the 2005 edition which came out just a bit ago.
> I guess Frank could tell you more...

Will I perceive any difference? Are there some new features I should
incorporate in my docs? I do use pdflatex now, instead of latex and
converting dvi to pdf.

Features I would like to see is good clean HTML generation of an tex
document. Where I can reference in mydomain.com/style.css

Obvious way to include images. I remember this being a pain whilst
writing my thesis.

More templates. I need to write a "whitepaper" for work. :)

Best wishes!