kpsewhich unable to fond fmtutil.cnf

Hello,
I have the following problem in my teTeX installation. (I apologize for
posting in this mailing list, but I can't find  any valuable help elsewhere
(and I serached in your archive, unsuccessfully)).
My problem is: "kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf" doesn't give any answer. I have been
told that it SHOULD give the file's path (in a "normal" setup). The file is
indeed located in /var/lib/texmf/web2c. The kpsewhich command is used from a
makefile file in order to install a shareware latex extension; thus the
installation aborts due to the path of fmtutil.cnf not found. The makefile is
launched from my  home directory.
Could anybody here give me any help to understand what's wrong. Thank's in
advance.
    F.B.
PS : I've been posting to the general teTeX users mailing list. People there
told me that my kpsewhich behaviour could be related to the debian packaging
of teTeX.