Re: TrueType fonts packages maintenance team proposal

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:

>> I'd be glad if you'd keep the Debian TeX Task Force (currently at
>> debian-tetex-maint@l.d.o, soon at debian-tex-maint@l.d.o) informed about
>> drafts of this policy.  Although we don't currently package any TTF
>

> Of course....Actually, I see some difference between TTF fonts which
> most common use are desktop environments and Type1 fonts, which use is
> more specialized (correct me if I say stupid things, I'm far from
> having good knowledge of all this...which is actually one of the
> motivations for a team...:-))

I guess the difference is more in the historic development than in
actual technical differences.  You can easily use Type1 fonts under X11
if they are registered to defoma;  I don't know about Openoffice and
friends.

On the other hand, as I said, pdftex can use TTF fonts, too.  That's why
I think we should coordinate a bit.

Debian Developer (teTeX)