Re: patch for xdvi

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> some time ago I reported a problem with xdvik in the upstram BTS
> <URL:http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1363644&group_id=23164&atid=377580>.
> I have compiled current tetex-bin with the patch from Stefan Ulrich
> included, and it solves to described problem without breaking anything
> else. At least nothing I have tried ... What's our policy w.r.t. such
> patches? Should I include it in the svn repository?

I didn't check how severe the bug is, but generally I think we often
patched source files.  It's somewhat different to TeX input files, first
of all because there are much less buggy binaries in tetex-bin than
buggy TeX input files in -base, and second because they are much less
connected (whereas a "fix" to a random *.sty might break an other one
that loads it and implemented a workaround).

naming I suggest patch-xdvi-<sourceforgeID>.  Of course use quilt to add
the patch.