Re: about this list

On Fre, 06 Jan 2006, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> > 	http://www.tug.org/texlive/debian.html
>
> But why are we basing things on TeXlive? Why not use ctan as the
> starting point and update each package as and when the individual
> package is updated by the respective upstream?

There are many different things here:
* I could have generated from all texlive depot for each single package
  a debian package. But more than 1000 new packages is too much,
  especially since some have only very few files.
  So we decided to make packages paralleling the collections in TeX live

* Furthermore, there are sometimes strange interactions between packages
  and versions, automatic updated could easily break other packages.

* Finally, most important, WHO will maintain 1000 different packages?
  How many of the CTAN package would you care for, 20? 50? There are
  more than 1000. Lots of work.

> >>Thre are  three or four  packages on /wnpp/requested/ which  relate to
> >>TeX.
> >
> > Can you send me the list of what is of interest for you? Probably all of
> > them are present in the TeX live packages.
>
> I asked because somebody requested that those packages be included in
> Debian; almost everything I need right now is in Debian.

Still, which are the packages which were requested, maybe we can close
the RFP after texlive has entered Debian.

WINKLEY (n.)
A lost object which turns up immediately you've gone and bought a
replacement for it.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff