Re: ppower4, java, and texive packages

Hi, Norbert.

On Dec 02 2005, Norbert Preining wrote:
> I have a question concerning packaging stuff for texlive: we want to
> include the ppower4 bundle, which consists of TeX input files, and of
> some jar archive/java program for postprocessing of the pdf file.

I have already packaged ppower4 in the past and I have been using it for
quite some time. In fact, this is the way I generate *all* my
presentations.

You can see older versions of the package at
<http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/debian/>. I have newer versions of it
packaged, but not here right now (I unfortunately had the PSU of my main
Desktop die this week and I'm using a "backup computer" right now).

The original message that I sent when I packaged it can be seen on
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2004/10/msg00105.html>.

> Now the question is: How do I package this: Can I include all the
> stuff and only Recommend: a java run time system?

No, you should depend on a java run time environment and there are many
Free systems in Debian already that work quite well with ppower4. One
thing you can do (and which I do already) is to Suggest: foiltex
(Suggest: instead of Recommend: because foiltex is in non-free).

> And if non is installed, give a warning message? Or should I leave out
> the postprocessor and only include the sty files (which would of
> course make it more or less useless)?

This would reduce drastically the package usefulness.

And we now have all things *in main* that upstream says it needs to
compile the program in Debian proper: ant and junit.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/