Re: updmap.cfg, update-updmap and removed packages: Yet an other approach

Hi all!

Ok, another proposal, after I have read through the whole bug report:

A map file is either enabled or not, and either in automatic mode or
not, ie. auto=managed by the system, manual= managed by root

enabled/disabled is shown by #! starting in updmap.cfg

at the end of the map line we save the system state and the current
mode, eg with
	# sys mode
eg
	# 1 auto
	# 0 auto
	# 1 manual
	# 0 manual
meaning that
	1 	enabled in auto mode
	0	disabled in auto mode

	auto	this line is automatically managed
	manual	this line is manually managed

we have the following 5 actions:
	enable
	disable
	system-enable
	system-disable
	auto	(switches back to auto mode)

So we have the states

	{auto,manual}/{enabled,disabled}

and have to define transitions for these states for the 5 actions:

A=auto
M=manual
E=enabled
D=disabled

Transitions:

action enable -E->:
-------------------
all states	-E->	M/E

action disable -D->:
--------------------
all states	-D->	M/D

action system-enable -SE->:
---------------------------
this action also changes 0 -> 1
A/E	-SE->	A/E
A/D	-SE->	A/E
M/E	-SE->	M/E
M/D	-SE->	M/D

action system-disable -SD->:
----------------------------
this action also changes 1 -> 0
A/E	-SD->	A/D
A/D	-SD->	A/D
M/E	-SD->	M/E
M/D	-SD->	M/D

action auto -A->:
-----------------
A/E	-A->	A/E
A/D	-A->	A/D
M/E	-A->	A/use info from 0/1
M/D	-A->	A/use info from 0/1

As long as we leave the file in /var/lib/ somewhere and the user does
NOT edit the file by hand, messing up everything, this should be enough
to solve the problems.

sip:preining@at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018
You're bound to be unhappy if you optimize everything.
 			--- Donald E. Knuth