Re: Question about the policy -- /usr or /var -- how to implement NFS-sharing of parts or all of the teTeX installation

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

[snipped lots of text with ACK]

> Anyway, I agree the problem of sharing doesn't seem to be what
> preoccupies our users most. I went into all this so that we can explain
> why .list files should be installed in /var/lib/tex-common/fontmap-cfg
> as it happens currently or, if it appears more appropriate, somewhere
> under /usr/share. Otherwise, I don't care much, personally. :)

[...]
> In fact, I think there is no answer that will satisfy everyone. With,
> for instance, format files in /var, you can rebuild your formats whether
> /usr is RW or not. Good if you have /usr RO because it is mounted from a
> RO device such as a DVD-R. But if your reason for having /usr most of
> the time RO is security, you'll want all the files that are not variable
> data to be in /usr instead of /var...

So what is the conclusion of all this, with respect to
/var/lib/tex-common?  Shouldn't we keep things just as they are, until a
real-world problem hits us in form of a user request or bug report?