Re: cygwin: lilypond and tetex-3.0

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> schrieb:

> Thomas Esser writes:
>
>>> Hmm.  Maybe, in texmf.cnf, TEXMFVAR must be added to SYSTEXMF
>>
>> SYSTEXMF works for what it is good for: to decide if some font source
>> comes from a system tree.
>
> Texmf.cnf says about SYSTEXMF
>
>     % The system trees.  These are the trees that are shared by all the users.

I also found this confusing.

>> Don't list TEXMFVAR in SYSTEXMF.
>
> Why must TEXMFVAR (=/var/lib/texmf)
>
>     drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4096 2004-12-20 22:47 /var/lib/texmf
>     drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 2004-12-27 17:39 /var/lib/texmf/web2c/
>
> a read-only tree for all users, not be part of SYSTEXMF?

Maybe SYSTEXMF should be renamed to TEXMFSYSFONTS?

> Why is this bad?  It seemed to work, and it is what Debian does too.

Hm, which version of teTeX in Debian do you mean? In 2.0.2, indeed
TEXMFVAR is /var/lib/texmf, and SYSTEXMF includes it. My published
experimental packages up to 2.99.9 do the same, too; but there is no
TEXMFSYSVAR yet in these versions. For the 3.0 packages, neither
TEXMFVAR nor TEXMFSYSVAR will be in TEXMFSYS.

> Can you suggest a better variable to add TEXMFVAR to?

TEXMF?