Re: CVS frank tetex-base: add fixes to close the /usr/local bug (#292752)

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 06:15:59PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> uwe@steinmann.cx (Uwe Steinmann) schrieb:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not sure if what I experience today when most of my tetex was updated
> > is related to the bug below, but it appears to be.
> >
> > I used to have a soft link /usr/local pointing to /software/local.
> > Basically for historical reasons.
> > After updating tetex from sid today this link disappeared and a
> > directory /usr/local/share/texmf had been created with an ls-R file
> > in it.
>
> Im an not completely sure, but I think the reason is the bug that was
> fixed by yesterday's upload. The problem is that in 2.0.2c-4, we
> included /usr/local/share/texmf in the deb, which is against
> policy. When this version was installed, dpkg created that directory
> (which was in fact /software/local/share/texmf). Do you know whether you
> had this directory?
Yes, that directory is still there and it contains a ls-R file dated today.
Probably created before the symlink was nuked when I updated other tetex
packages.

> During the upgrade to 2.0.c-5 the following things seem to have happened
> (this is a bit simplified wrt dpkg's behavior):
>
> - first, dpkg removed all the files from the old version, including
>   /usr/local/share/texmf.
>
> - It noticed that no other package had any files registered below
>   /usr/local (because this is not allowed, and that we did it was a
>   bug).
>
> - Therefore, as it usually does with such empty directories, it removed
>   it. It did this although it was a symlink, and this is an odd behavior
>   of dpkg. Feel free to dig through its huge bug list to find out
>   whether this has been reported yet. I count it as "feature or at least
>   a bug that everybody should expect to be there".
#182747 sounds similar.

> - After that, the postinst script of the new version did (nearly) what
>   it was designed to do: it tried to create /usr/local/share/texmf. I
>   wrote nearly, because it should have created it only if
>   /usr/local/share already existed. I will correct this at once.
Thanks for explanation.

  Uwe

--
  MMK GmbH, Universitaetsstr. 11, 58097 Hagen
  Uwe.Steinmann@mmk-hagen.de