Specifying language.dat in fmtutil.cnf

Hallo Thomas,

could it be that there is a bug in fmtutil, because it simply ignores
the hyphenation field in fmtutil.cnf?

# grep ^latex `kpsewhich --format='web2c files' fmtutil.cnf`
latex           pdfetex         sprache.def     -translate-file=cp227.tcx *latex.ini
# fmtutil --byfmt latex
[...]
No pages of output.
Transcript written on latex.log.
fmtutil: /var/lib/texmf/web2c/latex.fmt installed.
alhambra:~# fmtutil --showhyphen latex
fmtutil: hyphenfile `sprache.def' not found.
alhambra:~#

And in fact sprache.def does not exist anywhere. fmtutil just used
language.dat.

In the parse_line() function in fmtutil, the third field in fmtutil.cnf
is assigned to the variable "hyphenation", but it seems it is never used
in format creation, only for showhyphen.

If it is not possible to select alternative hyphenation files in
fmtutil.cnf, this should be said in the manpage.

For reference, below is a question on the debian-tetex-maint list that
made me find this issue.

Schöne Grüße, Frank