Re: Fixing bugs in packages?

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 20:31 +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:

> are you willing to fix bugs in packages? Tetex 3 includes ntheorem that
> has some bugs like <news:slrndm454i.2fg.joerg@alea.gnuu.de>. Are you
> responsible for these bugs or must upstream fix them for the next
> release?

In general, we do not fix bugs in (La)TeX packages. We forward them to
the package author (second level upstream). Even when the package author
places a new version on CTAN, we generally wait for Thomas Esser (first
level upstream) to provide a new TEXMF tree for teTeX. There might be
some exeptions <URL:http://pkg-tetex.alioth.debian.org/update.html>, but
this should be limited to severe bugs.

Concerning your particular problem. I am not sure if I would call the
behaviour you reported in the above quoted news message a bug in
ntheorem. It is equivalent to the problem described in the german TeX

,----[ DE-TeX-FAQ ]
| 7.1.2 Bei einem Artikel mit sehr vielen Abschnitten und Unterabschnitten
| ``klebt'' die Überschrift im `toc' direkt hinter der Abschnittsnummer.
| Kann man den Platz verbreitern?
`----

Transfered to your case you could add

\makeatletter
\def\thm@@thmline@name#1#2#3#4{%
        \@dottedtocline{-2}{0em}{4em}%
                   {#1 \protect\numberline{#2}#3}%
                   {#4}}
\makeatother

to your document. The '4em' (2.3em in the original definition) defines
the amount of space available for '1.1.1/1'. Change this number to
a value that suits you.

Of course, it would be nice if ntheorem would addjust this amount of
space when the theorems are numbered within subsections. Or provide an
interface for adjusting it. IMO these are feature requests for the
package author.

cheerio
ralf