Draft for announcment on debian-devel-announce

Hi all,

please have a look at the following draft message, and critically
comment it.  Oh, one thing: I should probably mention this list as a
contact place, for people who can't follow the Reply-To.

Regards, Frank

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

teTeX-3.0 has been in experimental for a while and will be uploaded to
unstable as soon as library transitions are allowed again[1].  This is a
major version step which includes quite some changes, see the release
notes for teTeX-3.0[2]

This means that you should take the opportunity now and test your
packages with the new version NOW if your packages fall in one of the
following cases:

- your package Build-Depends on tetex-{bin,base, or extra}:

  Please try to build your package with the new version.  Kurt Roeckx
  has already done this with a some packages[3], and it revealed a
  couple of bugs (in the packages, not in tetex) that are no longer
  tolerated.  Please keep in mind that some packages Build-Depend only
  indirectly on tetex because they use a package that pulls tetex in.

  Please also have a look at the documents generated, especially at
  fonts and font quality.  Font management has changed a bit, and since
  TeX uses some emergency replacements you might end up with not using
  the fonts you wanted.

- your package depends on teTeX:

  Likewise, you should do some tests in typical usage cases, you'll
  probably know best yourself what these are.

- your package provides additional fonts for use with TeX

  Please note the new font file placement according to TDS 1.1[4], and
  the changes for font file management as outlined in the Debian TeX
  Policy draft in the tex-common package or at [5], and in the new
  manpage of update-updmap(1).  If you don't do anything, your package
  will simply stop working.

Maintainers of other TeX-add-on packages should also have a look at the
Policy draft.

- your package depends on libkpathsea:

  libkpathsea has a new soname.  Since it was never designed as a shared
  library (or as a proper library at all)[6], it exposes lots of its
  internals, and in some cases the API might have changed, too (or
  you're programs are using internals they shouldn't...).  Please
  carefully check this, and notify us if there are problems with the new
  version.  We do not currently plan to keep providing libkpathsea3 in
  oldlibs, since it would require a new source package.

  If you have an active upstream (and an up-to-date package in
  unstable), there shouldn't be a problem, since the new version is
  around for quite a while.

All others, sit back and watch!

Regards, Frank

[1] but not before I come back from my vacation ;-)

[2] online at http://www.tug.org/tetex/texmf/doc/tetex/TETEXDOC.pdf or
    "texdoc TETEXDOC" if 3.0 is installed.

[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-tetex-maint/2005/08/msg00218.html

[4] http://www.tug.org/tds/tds.html