Re: luximono: problems and success

Joerg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:

> Hello Frank,
>
> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
>> Joerg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> some time ago I expressed the wish to install fonts in my home dir and
>>> not lose the system fonts. This was implemented in the new tetex 3
>>> packages and today I tested it.
>>
>> Very good to get practical experiences.  Which version of the packages
>> did you use?
>
> Oh sorry, I missed out them:
>
> $ dpkg -l tete* |grep ^ii
> ii  tetex-base     3.0-6          Basic library files of teTeX
> ii  tetex-bin      3.0-5          The teTeX binary files
> ii  tetex-doc      3.0-3          The documentation component of the Debian te
> ii  tetex-extra    3.0-6          Additional library files of teTeX

And tex-common?

>>> After all this, I called updmap
>>
>> Probably you also called update-updmap, right?
>
> Yes. Did that had any effect?

Yes, of course.  updmap looks only in the file it finds when looking for

kpsewhich --format='web2c files' updmap.cfg

usually this is either /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg or
~/.texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg.  The changes you made to your
10luximono.cfg were only merged into ~/.texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg by
calling update-updmap.

>> Again the question about package versions, this time more detailed: At
>> which version did you read the manpage of updmap(-sys) and other
>> documentation?
>
> Never.
>
>> It changed a bit recently, so I'm wondering whether the new text would
>> have informed you better, or still needs to be rephrased or extended.
>
> I read the mail from Florent Rougon (<87k6ksd9dj.fsf@florent.maison> or
> <news:4gvtQ-x4-7@gated-at.bofh.it>) on this list.

Ah, well, then at least we can't blame our documentation.  I'm not sure
what's in this message, but even if it is still correct, it probably
assumes some prior knowledge that you didn't have.