Re: [tex-live] Proposal for a tex-base package

Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

Can we please get away from the practice of putting stuff in /usr/sbin
and /etc, in favor of a location like /usr/local/sbin and
/usr/local/share/etc
Regardless of anything else, this thread relates to Debian.
The TeX tail cannot wag the Debian dog in regard to
conventions about file systems and directory names....

Networked computers today are the NORM, not the exception, even in an
increasing number of home computing environments.  It is long past the
time when the notion of one-user == one-machine applies, and software
should be packaged so that it can be installed once per architecture
for binaries, and just once per site for text files, and then run on
all systems belonging to that architecture and installation.
I would have said the trend was the opposite. That
we are going back to 1 user=1 machine, and to one copy of the software
on each machine.  Networked user files, yes, but applications duplicated
locally is what I see. Maybe I move in different circles...

--
Sebastian Rahtz Information Manager, Oxford University Computing Services

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk