Re: Proposal for a tex-base package

Hi Frank, hi all!

First of all, thanks Frank for commenting and defining the end of May
being near ;-)

On Mit, 18 Mai 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
> > Proposal for a tex-base package
> > ===============================
>
> I'd suggest to rather call it "tex-common".  First of all, this is the

ACK

> >         /etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg
>
> That would be just an empty file with comments, wouldn't it?  So I'd
> vote for /etc/texmf/updmap.d/README

The problem is that ATM update-updmap is checking for 00updmap.cfg. SO I
thought to put in the all the stuff withouth the map files (so the
dvipsPreferOutline etc stuff).

> >         /etc/texmf/texmf.d/*
> [...]
> > texmf.cnf file snippets: I assume that all the config files will finally
> > be more or less equal, if the pathes are not too different. I would again
> > suggest a minimal texmf.d/00tex-base.cfg file which includes some comments,
> > and the other packages install new snippets.
>
> I think the basic definitions that are also in our to-be Debian TeX
> Policy (e.g. which trees are found) should be defined there.  I guess we
> can (and should) also agree on common values for the TeX memory sizes
> (pool_size etc.), because the values we need here will be mostly defined
> by the less common, more exotic applications that are not included in
> the basic packages (of texlive or tetex), but come as separate (tetex)
> or add-on (texlive) packages, and they should be the same irrespective
> of which package provides the TeX (or pdfTeX) engine.

ACK

> >         /etc/texmf/fmt.d/00tetex.cnf
>
> Again a README would be sufficient, right?

Again the same as with update-texmf, which checks for this or a similar
file. I would put it all the initial comments withotu anything else.

> Some documentation.

ok.

> > The following changes would be necessary:
> > * All references to tetex should go to tex-base, ie
> >         update-updmap
> >                 FONTMAP_MEMORY_DIR=/var/lib/tex-base/debian/fontmap-cfg
> >         update-texmf
> >                 MD5SUMS=/usr/share/tex-base/texmf.cnf.md5sum.d
> >                 (Necessary, do we have upgrades ;-)
> >         update-fmtutil
> >                 /etc/texmf/fmt.d/00tetex.cnf rename
>
> Agreed.  I haven't checked whether anything else is necessary.

Let's try and see.

> P.S. Something else just occured to me: When creating the packages that
> texlive will be split into, you should take into account that there are
> not only many things that are missing in teTeX, but also a bunch of
> things that exist as separate packages in Debian.  You should talk to

True, but this is for later, to be honest. First I want the
infrastructure working, then we can make special cases for special
packages.

sip:preining@at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018
DALRYMPLE (n.)
Dalarymples are the things you pay extra for on pieces of hand-made
craftwork - the rough edges, the paint smudges and the holes in the
glazing.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff