Re: using fmtutil as user (non-root)

Richard Lewis <rtf@jabble.com> wrote:

> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> writes:
>
>> But I think it works if you call the file "language.dat", not
>> "language.dat.ecylatex"
>>

> No, this makes it use the original, system-wide, languge.dat

Oh, yes. Well, no. If you put a file "language.dat" into HOMETEXMF (and
HOMETEXMF is before TEXMFMAIN, as is standard on Debian), then it will
use the one in HOMETEXMF. Whereas any format generation by the package
installation will not see this file, of course.

> Thomas Esser <te@dbs.uni-hannover.de> writes:
>
>>> could it be that there is a bug in fmtutil, because it simply ignores
>>> the hyphenation field in fmtutil.cnf?
>>
>> A misunderstanding!
>>
>> You cannot change the behaviour when building the format.
>

> So it's impossible for a non-root user to build a custom format?

You can have custom versions of *.ini or latex.ltx in HOMETEXMF. Or in
your case, you would need a changed version of hyphen.cfg:

\openin1 = language.dat
\ifeof1
  \message{I couldn't find the file language.dat,\space
           I will try the file hyphen.tex}
  \input hyphen.tex\relax
\else

You can change the name there.

> Does
> the new TEXMFCONFIG variable in tetex-3 make this possible?

As far as I know, it doesn't change anything with respect to hyphenation
- you can have a custom language.dat in TEXMFCONFIG, but if you want to
change the name, you have to change hyphen.cfg (or make it load
something else instead).